Sunday, August 6, 2023

A new month

 I ended July by taking a final look at the proofs for Wayfare issue 2. Among other changes, I discovered that the writer of a hymn wrote "whomever" when it should have been "whoever." (If you're not certain on how to use "whom," just don't. The same goes for semicolons.) Now that the issue is done, I should be less busy until November. And the editor-in-chief said on Friday that the next issue is going to be shorter and more manageable. 

When I work from home, Reggie comes to sit on my lap. From a logical perspective, Reggie has a net negative impact on my life. I have to clean his litterbox, pick up his furballs, give him food, and brush his fur off of everything. He doesn't contribute anything; since he's an indoor cat, he doesn't even catch mice. But despite all that, he is so worth it! I just love to have him sit on my lap and lean his body against mine and purr. I love his ears, his pink nose, his majestic mane, his little teefies, and his paws. I love waking up in the middle of the night to find him on my bed. I just adore him. 

This might be a sweet picture, except that it looks like I'm choking him


Longtime readers of my blog might recall that I used to hate August, but in the last decade I have quit hating it so much, and in fact I have come to appreciate it. To be sure, there are many months I like more than August, but there are so many wonderful things about this month:
  • August is the month of plums, grapes, and peaches. Yesterday I picked two large bowls of plums, which are my favorite of our fruits for eating out of hand. I'm so glad we had them this year, because we didn't in 2021 and 2022.


  • Richardson's geraniums, sunflowers, goldenrod, fireweed, and more

    Richardson's geraniums
  • Monsoonal thunderstorms
  • I don't officially start Halloween until the middle of September, and even then it's early, but in August I begin looking for fall candies to review. And also, it's when Halloween Squishmallows start to show up.
    Do you like this new candy apple my niece got for me?

  • By the end of the month, the leaves have started to turn on the trails.
  • Some of my most cherished memories come from August, such as visiting my brother's family and first coming out to my mom in 2012, my geology field studies class in 2013, and the solar eclipse in 2017
    My brother's youngest kid, Qi-en, in 2012

  • One of the best songs from folklore
  • A new start with a new school year. I personally haven't started a new school year since 2021, and I probably won't go to school again, but it still feels new when everyone around me is starting fresh
  • Lingering road trips, camping trips, and lake trips
I'm hoping I will enjoy the remainder of this month!

No comments:

Post a Comment