Sunday, September 3, 2023

The best month of the year

Guys, we made it to September! 

September is my favorite month. It is both summer and fall at the same time. Meteorological fall starts September 1, and astronomical fall starts with the equinox, which means it is literally both summer and fall right now.

I did some end-of-August trail running on the Wild Rose Trail this week, and I encountered another snake, but this one was not a rattlesnake, thankfully. I also learned that one of the plants that turns yellow at this time of year is called snakeweed—an ugly name for a pretty plant.


I headed out on Friday, September 1, and I spotted my first red leaf of the season. I hadn't noticed it the night before, so it came right on time.

My parents spent several days at Moosehorn Lake in the Uintas, and I was going to join them Friday night. But it was so cold and rainy that they decided to come home early, so I didn't get to go. But instead, yesterday my mom took me to Pineview Reservoir so I could use my paddleboard. It was a lovely time, and I really enjoy lakes. But it certainly is harder to stand up on the paddleboard in bodies of water that have motorized boats. I also enjoyed swimming in it, but the water was not at all clear.

Both my alma maters had college football games this week. I don't care one groat for football, but I find there's just a fun fall atmosphere in the air whenever one is happening, even though I don't watch them.

So, what other wonderful things go on in September?

  • Labor Day. I decided last minute to sign up for a Labor Day triathlon tomorrow.
  • In two weeks, I will begin earnestly seeking all the pumpkin foods.
  • Changing leaves and cooler temperatures, but it's not too cold yet
  • Outdoor music concerts
  • The early days of Halloween season. I ordered a Halloween sweater, and it arrived this week, so then I ordered additional non-Christmas holiday sweaters.


  • Grape and apple seasons
  • My birthday at the end of the month. I have observed anecdotally that people tend to love the time of year when they were born, and that's certainly the case for me.
I'm so happy it's September!

No comments:

Post a Comment