Sunday, March 3, 2024

Yay March!

Guys, we made it out of February! January and February are the only months of the year I don't like.

Some people seem annoyed or surprised when I do anything St. Patrick's-y before March 1, but do they wait until December for Christmas stuff (which is later in the month)? I recently saw a commercial with two guys knocking down a Valentine's heart, then saying, "It's St. Patrick's Day season!" I was glad that others agree with me that (a) St. Patrick's Day has a season and (2) it starts after Valentine's Day. (I'm just disappointed it was a whiskey commercial, which is by far my biggest gripe about St. Patrick's Day. I have a great deal of schadenfreude for drunk people. Drunk drivers deserve any maiming they inflict on themselves.)

Anyway, for the month between Valentine's Day and St. Patrick's Day, I like to consume green food and Irish food, even though I'm not Irish at all. This week I made colcannon, Irish mashed potatoes. It just had potatoes, cabbage, milk, butter, and onions (the recipe called for green onions, but I used regular onions instead). Those sound like very basic, bland ingredients, but it was amazing! It was better than the sum of its parts. 


And I've started wearing my shamrock hat at my desk to keep the sunlight from the window out of my eyes. 


Since Leap Day only occurs every four years, I wanted to make it memorable. It's one of those days when I can eat whatever I want, so I took advantage of that. And I went on another steep bike ride, so my Garmin app gave me a special badge. 
And I watched the romcom Leap Year, which I rate 4/10.

And then, it was March! March 1 is the beginning of meteorological spring. And the snow was sufficiently melted, for one day, that I was able to do my first trail run of the year! I had enough time to make it a long one: I ran to Ensign Peak from my house, nine miles round trip. It was exceedingly windy, but it was so wonderful to be back on the trail. Only a few spots were muddy.








And now it will be a while again, due to our new snow. But I'm not mad about it.

Once it's March, the entire rest of the year is fun. Here are the things I'm looking forward to the rest of the calendar year:

  • Celtic music festivals, Irish food, green everything
  • Chocolate bunnies and marshmallow chicks
  • Glacier lilies, arrowleaf balsamroot
  • Cinco de Mayo, Mother's Day, Memorial Day
  • Sego lilies and mulesears
  • Outdoor concerts, road trips, pool parties
  • Fireworks and cookouts
  • Using my pioneer expertise
  • Paddleboarding and lake excursions
  • sunflowers and thunderstorms
  • fairs
  • acorns and red maple leaves
  • pumpkins and apples galore
  • spooky music and scary movies
  • gratitude and pies
  • festive lights and tunes
  • presents and family
  • reminiscing

No comments:

Post a Comment