Sunday, July 14, 2024

July things

This week my state job had us go to meetings three days. Two of those days were trainings about project management; our presenter flew in from Michigan. She asked if there were uniquely Utah foods; someone said pastrami burgers, and then I started explaining about the Greek immigrants who opened Crown Burgers. Someone said something about fry sauce; she asked if it was invented here, and I said it was debatable. And then I also talked about Utah's thick milkshakes. She said that I seemed like I know a lot about food, and I told her I read a book called This Is the Plate. She was very intrigued, so someone lent her a copy, and she loved it. I'm glad I was able to introduce it to someone. But the next day, I had not one but two colleagues think that I said I wrote (not read) a book about Utah food. I'm not that cool! Maybe I need to enunciate better? (When I was in junior high, I had so many people think I said my name was Mike.)

Anyway, with it being the Pioneer Day season, I like to eat those Utah foods at this time of year. And also in my research, I learned that over a century ago, sunflowers and sagebrush were seen as a symbol of Pioneer Day. So I have been intrigued by the culinary implications of sunflowers at Pioneer Day. Last year I bought some Trader Joe's sunflower seed spread. Last week, I used the sunflower butter to make no-bake cookies. They were quite tasty (and calorie dense). I was glad to make cookies without the oven on a hot day.


It's on my bucket list to visit all the state parks in Utah, and this week my parents and youngest nibling went up to Scofield State Park. I joined them Friday night and Saturday. It's a nice reservoir, and my parents were happy to use their new kayak, which I also used. 
But I was also happy to use my paddleboard; I think this was only my sixth time using it since I got it in 2020? I stood up on it for more than forty minutes, and my Garmin watch says I went a mile doing so, but I don't know how accurate that is. I only fell in at the beginning, and it wasn't my fault: my parents thought it was a good idea to "help" launch me, so they pushed my board, which made me fall.

I went into the town of Scofield, where there was a mining disaster in 1900, so we went into the cemetery, where there were many grave markers, both originals and new ones. 

I also went by the Scofield school, which says 1928 on the front. There are various cracks in the building, but it is still evidently still used for something, as there are electric meters on it.

I was hoping to do some swimming in the lake, but unfortunately there was a thunderstorm looming, so I didn't get back in the water.


As I returned home, I learned about the assassination attempt. My feelings about the former president are no secret, but this is terrible no matter how you look at it.

I also learned about the death of Richard Simmons. My mom used to do the Sweatin' to the Oldies video back in the '90s, and as a fat little kid, I joined in sometimes. My brother told me I was doing the wrong moves for "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" because I was moving my wrists instead of my arms. My mom also bought a VHS of Sweatin' to the Oldies 3, which had a girl in it, and my mom said, "This one has a whole kid!" I said something like, "It would be weird to have a half kid."

(Speaking of the word "oldies"—it seems to me that in the '70s, they used "oldies" to refer to songs from the '50s and '60s, and in the '90s "oldies" referred to songs from the '70s, but I can't imagine "oldies" referring to songs from the 2000s today.)

And I continue to go on walks to eradicate goathead plants from a few parts of the neighborhood. On last night's walk, I saw a big one, so I don't know how I missed it before, or else I'm surprised it grew so big in a short amount of time.

Some hunters pose with their ducks or pheasants hanging from their hands. This is my equivalent.

And here are this week's best AI dream images.
Mark shows off a variety of candy bunnies
David hides unwrapped Christmas presents behind the couch, and he gives Mark a marble run from China
a church activity is an indoor football game, but Jeremy plays the piano instead

a queer-friendly coffee shop is run by a witch who turns people into bodiless ghost servants (the typos in this image are actually perfect)

In late August, Mark sees caramel apple-flavored lollipops for sale

Mark gives Holly the rest of his fries and fry sauce at Arby's

Mark is reluctant to buy fried chicken at the little strip mall

Ann and Sue have to drive carefully down the North Canyon trail

Mark completes a church obstacle course that involves looking through a piece of plastic to see invisible ramps and handles

in late September, Mark can eat whatever he wants, but he decides not to buy a shamrock-shaped donut

Mark buys a fruitcake-flavored donut at the convenience store

Mark is in the choir for "Over the Garden Wall," but he doesn't remember when to go on stage

Mark stays at a bnb with a stream running by the top floor

Mark goes on an evening run before the Great Salt Lake floods


Mark and Katie explain scavenger hunts to a woman

Mark pulls up a small goat head plant

there are monkey bars and rings on a structure that goes up and down and tilts side to side


No comments:

Post a Comment