Sunday, December 30, 2012

Year in Review

Well friends, it's the last Sunday of 2012. It's been a good, eventful year, so I am going to think back, month by month, on what happened.

January. In the beginning of the month, I said goodbye to my visiting nephews, Preston, Franklin, and Nathaniel (aka Baby), and went back to Provo and moved into West Cambridge #12. I had lived in the ward in 2011 and was fortunate enough to find another opening there when I started school again. My roommates were Bryton Beesley, Ammon Orgill, and Cameron Eaton. I took English Semantics and Pragmatics, taught by Dallin D. Oaks (my favorite professor ever); Beginning Piano Techniques Part 2, taught by a grad student named Randy; Basic Editing Skills, taught by Doris Dant; Doctrine and Covenants, taught by Barbara Morgan; and Physical Geology, taught by Steve Nelson. I also joined a student journal, Schwa, to get editing experience.

February. I went to a tri-ward dance and was a wall weed. This was the month of the terrible tragedy of that nefarious, abominable, diabolical Josh Powell. I coined the term lemits to refer to the really weird, often depressing time of year in late February and March. Ammon moved out of the apartment and was replaced by another Cameron, Cameron Haas.


March. One Sunday, while wearing a Snoopy St. Patrick's Day tie and watching a CES broadcast, I discovered that I have a double who sings in the choir at BYU-Idaho. I went to the St. Patrick's Day parade in Salt Lake City, even though I think parades are stupid. March 31 was the first time Salt Lake City ever hit 80 degrees during the month of March.


April. This was quite an eventful month. I went to Rock Canyon with my geology class a few days before Easter. Cameron Eaton got engaged and moved out for the summer, and Bryton became the elders quorum president. I finished winter semester with a 4.0. During the break between winter and spring, I wrote the longest blog post ever. My parents also took me to Vernal to see Dinosaur National Monument, which is one of the coolest places ever. I went back to Provo the day before spring classes. After a ward FHE activity of capture the flag, I went running for an hour. Well, it was meant to be an hour, but at 59 minutes I stopped because I didn't feel well. Next thing I knew, I was lying in the middle of the road with scraped knees and hands. I went to the Student Health Center the next day; apparently I just had low blood sugar. All my scrapes made it hard to walk for a week. I started spring classes, taking Print Publishing and History from 1500. I applied for an internship just because I could. On the last day of the month, I got a call to go in for an interview. I wasn't prepared for an interview, but I went in and got the job!

May. I can't remember if I got my new glasses in April or May. I started working at BYU Studies, my first article to edit being about baptism in the Book of Mormon. I got to watch the solar eclipse. A bunch of girls--Hanna, Suzy, Carissa, Kristen--started visiting us frequently. I started my memory blog. On the Friday before Memorial Day, my parents tried J-Dawgs for the first time (and have been hooked ever since) before we went and visited some amazing lava tubes near Fillmore. 

June. I got to see the transit of Venus. I had a completely dreadful final for my completely dreadful history class. I also had to do a final project for my Print Publishing class, but the printing place in the Wilk messed up my book. Between spring and summer terms, I went home and ended up completely tearing the mat of our trampoline. I contacted Jan Terri on Facebook, and she sent me burned copies of her CDs and and an autographed photo, which some horses took and framed. I sent her a check for $20. (Now all of her music is available for download, so I got a good deal.) I introduced all sorts of people to Jan Terri, and we even had a Jan Terri party in which we took my Jan Terri picture to the park and took pictures with "her."
I started summer term, taking French 321 from Daryl Lee, Book of Mormon from Byron Merrill, and Writings of Isaiah from Shon Hopkin.The last week of the month, my cousin Jesse got married and I was the best man, but that didn't really mean anything. My brother was moving to California, so I briefly got to see his family for the wedding.

July. I watched part of Provo's Fourth of July parade with Bryton, and then I went swimming with some of the horses later that day. We watched fireworks from the field by the MTC. The next day we went to a small performance of Cyrano de Bergerac; it felt like September that day. I went to a llama festival in Spanish Fork and discovered I don't really like animals. I went to an orthopedist because my knee hurt whenever I would run; he gave me some knee exercises to do, and now I can run again. My parents bought a giant TV that plays YouTube videos, but my dad misuses YouTube. A certain tarantula came and rearranged our apartment. I watched Olympics, even though I don't like sports. This was the month with the Aurora shooting catastrophe.

August. On August 1, I took most of my French class to a French bakery. That same day, I said goodbye to Hanna. I finished summer term with three A minuses. Then my dad and I took a train to California to visit my brother's family. Baby had an adorable catch phrase, "You inky!" We saw all sorts of touristy places, such as Muir Woods and the Golden Gate Bridge. But mostly we stayed home with my nephews. I flew home by myself after a week. I enjoyed my time off, but then it was time to go back to Provo. I got a calling as an assistant ward clerk. I started my first fall semester. I took Empirical Methods in English Linguistics from Nancy Turley, Varieties of English from Wendy Smemoe, Substantive Editing from Doris Dant (again), Environmental Biology from Richard Terry, Jogging from a coach named Josh, and Geomorphology from Jani Radebaugh. And then I got sick, even though I never get sick. Scott Boyce moved in during the break.

September. My parents came down one weekend and took me on an adventure to Cascade Springs. Then in the middle of the month, I was super excited to get ready for Halloween! It was my first Halloween with decorating my apartment, Mad Monster Party?, and, of course, "Get Down Goblin."
I went on a field trip to the Crandall Printing Museum. We all participated in the Brigham City Temple dedication, which was quite interesting in the Marriott Center. I had an impromptu birthday party with some of the horses and turned 24 the next day.

October.  I went to the final Rooftop Concert Series to see the Lower Lights, whose latest album I got for my birthday. In general conference, they announced the new missionary ages. On homecoming weekend, my grandparents came and took me to dinner and to the MOA. The mountain was absolutely beautiful. My parents took me to see Frankenweenie in the movie theater. It was a good movie; you should see it. I helped out at a Relief Society luncheon. On Halloween, I carved my pumpkin to protest the political sign outside our apartment complex.

November. I got a free trip to Death Valley! My Geomorphology class all went to Death Valley the first weekend of the month. We saw playas, volcanic craters, sand dunes, and moving rocks. It was great! I had some major tarantula problems. I had fun celebrating Thanksgiving and bought six bags of Thanksgiving candy (clearance Halloween candy that doubles as Thanksgiving candy). Thanksgiving was at our house this year, and it was pretty fun. Then I went back to Provo and had to buckle down for all the assignments and projects coming up.

December. I had to do four final projects and five finals. It was kind of stressful getting everything done. But I got it all done! Unfortunately, I ended the semester with two A minuses. Oh, well. I went to a caroling activity but was the only one to show up. Then I came home for the break. There was the terrible Connecticut tragedy. I saw Cherie Call at a live radio concert. We had an early Christmas and I got a new laptop, which I am presently using. Then this past week I have been in California to visit my nephews again. We went to Six Flags and Franklin got really mad at me because I accidentally splashed him with water, but he doesn't believe people do things on accident. Preston got baptized. Then we drove home!

"Because it's wintertime again,
And the last leaf falls on what has been, 
And as this year comes to an end,
I am thinking about starting again, again." 

1 comment:

  1. Mark, I am so glad the horses made it in your year of review.

    ReplyDelete