Sunday, May 4, 2014

#ProvoRocks

Well, it was my first week working full time.

And it's nice working from home. I don't have to worry about getting up in time to get dressed. I like to get started in the morning, but if I sleep a little late, I can even get a large bowl and eat breakfast while I start working, since my work mostly consists of reading through things and checking for errors.

But after eight hours (with an hour break), I am a little sick of sitting in my chair. Nevertheless, I have enjoyed working. It's easy, but I feel like it's meaningful, and it's the best paying job I've ever had. And it's only an internship! A while ago I got an email from the editing department advertising an internship with Deseret Book. My internship pays more than twice as much as Deseret Book.

This is the very first spring term in which I haven't done classes. I have to figure out what to do, now that I don't have anything looming over me that I need to get done. Last summer I didn't take classes, but even then I knew I needed to prepare for Geology 210. Now I'm completely off the hook. So I've decided that at least once a day, I need to interact with other humans outside of my apartment. Spring generally seems to be the best time to do that, anyway.

On Friday, the Rooftop Concert Series started again. And while I didn't like the concert atmospheres for Andy Grammer, Mideau (even though I loved the music), and Harry and the Potters, I love the atmosphere of the Rooftop series--probably because it's outside. And this time I went with some friends, unlike last August and September. We could see the Angel Moroni on the new Provo Temple, and I wondered if future Rooftop Concerts will interfere with the quietude of the temple. They have three bands each time. The first was called Strange Family, a rather slow rock band. I found them a bit boring. The second was a folk group called the National Parks. I liked them enough to buy their CD, and they were my favorite group, but it's hard to go wrong with folk. Then the headline group was called Desert Noises. I think there's "they're good for a local band" and then there's good. Desert Noises was just good for a local band; I don't think I'd otherwise listen to them. The National Parks was better than that.

The Rooftop Concerts have had some really big musicians. I think even Neon Trees played there in the past. This week I learned that their drummer, Elaine Bradley, joined the ranks of Brandon Flowers in having an "I'm a Mormon" video.


At the Rooftop Concert, Provo was giving out free t-shirts with anthropomorphic animals on them, provided you "liked" their Facebook page. I got a shirt with a cowboy bull on it (because they were running low when I got one). They were promoting a new campaign called #ProvoRocks. After my Structure of English class a year ago, I've become accustomed to analyzing different meanings for things. "Provo rocks" could be interpreted as a sentence meaning "Provo is great." It could be a sentence referring to the rock music played at Rooftop Concerts. And it could be a noun phrase, referring to the rocks of Provo--made more significant by the fact that Provo just bought Rock Canyon--a place I have only been to for geology field trips but a place I should go to more often.

If I were to guess, I would say that I will be gone from Provo come fall. I don't know, but that's my guess. Provo really is a great city. I will miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment