Sunday, May 25, 2014

Yellow rocks

This will have to be a short blog, as I'm using my phone. But I've never missed a Sunday in three years.

I'm on a family vacation without my immediate family in Yellowstone, the greatest of the national parks. If you like wildlife, you get it. If you like scenic vistas, you get it. If you like hydrothermal features, you get it. (If you like sedimentary rocks, you're mostly out of luck.) We have seen rhyolite, tuff, basalt columns, travertine, fumaroles, geysers, mud pots, hot springs, buffalo, elk, black bears, a grizzly bear, a snake, otters, a coyote, meandering streams, braided streams, oxbow lakes, waterfalls, and more.

We have taken to calling buffalo cactuses, because I made fun of people who stopped to see them, saying that stopping in Yellowstone to see buffalo is like stopping in the desert to see cactuses.

No comments:

Post a Comment