Sunday, January 18, 2015

Incoherent thoughts

The other day I was thinking about the months of the year, and how they all have their pros and cons. Even January has its good things. But I couldn't really think of anything bad about October. Other months may have better pros than October, but October doesn't have any cons.

January may be full of freezing temperatures, ice, smog, and the end of a holiday season. But it does have New Year's Day for one day, and it has a day off in the form of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, and it has the beginning of heart-shaped candy season. But all things considered, those aren't very good things comparatively.

My recent research for work has led me to read a lot about Amasa Lyman--who was an early Apostle, was mentioned in the Doctrine and Covenants, came west, helped settle San Bernardino, CA, was excommunicated, and became a Godbeite. What blows my mind about all this is that he is my ancestor and is buried in the same cemetery as my grandparents, which is the cemetery in which my parents will be buried. I have seen his tombstone!

I'm always learning new things. Today, we think of pioneers as those people who came across the plains between 1847 and 1869, when the transcontinental railroad was completed. But for those pioneers, they didn't all consider themselves pioneers. To them, only those who came in 1847 were pioneers, which was only a few hundred. I also learned this week that only 4 percent of all the pioneers came via handcarts.

This week I went with my grandparents to see the play The Miracle Worker. Whenever I see things like that, I want to know how much of it is true and how many dramatic liberties they took. But the overall story is true, and it is an amazing story indeed.

I guess I don't really have that much to say about the week. That's January for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment