Sunday, April 9, 2017

Fun but uneventful

Everyone's out there freaking out about the snow. But I've never seen an April where it didn't snow, at least a little. Complaining about snow in April is like complaining about heat in May. It's normal, even if it's not what you usually think about.

Also, it's not a Utah thing. Weather is "bipolar" in most places that have four seasons. I saw April snow in Nashville in 2007, and snow is even rarer there than it is here.

(You see, I keep track of these things because I'm still holding out for a year when I see it snow in nine out of twelve months. In 2010 and 2011, I saw it in eight, but more recently it's only been six.)

When it wasn't raining or snowing this week, I was able to get some good runs in. I ran to the Bountiful Temple from my house, eleven miles round trip. It started sprinkling and getting windy, so I worried I would be drenched, but I was fine.

However, I was more excited about a 5.27-mile run. Off of the Bonneville Shoreline Trail are a bunch of radio towers (I think five), which you can see from various places in Salt Lake. I have been by most of them, but the last one is a little farther away, so I never made it there. But I did this week, and it was fun! Mostly fun to have it off my bucket list. Also, it fascinates me that I kind of feel isolated, yet there's an entire building that's rarely accessed.
I was right by the third and fourth towers when I took the picture. You can faintly see the fifth one on the hill on the right to the trail. I think it was about .75 miles away.

I wasn't worried about snakes on an April evening, but I am concerned if I go there in the future.

I took a moment to eat Easter-themed trail mix here. I'm so glad Easter is late-ish this year.

This sign prohibited motor vehicles, but I'm sure radio workers use them to get to the tower.
Last week I blogged about my mission reunion and how I didn't think my mission president really remembered me. When I was coming back from lunch on Wednesday, I just happened to see him at the crosswalk, and he remembered my name, when I wasn't even wearing a nametag! Though I don't know if he would have remembered if I hadn't just seen him a few days earlier.

I have also had fun reading a Mormon immigrating (or emigrating) journal of a ship from Australia in 1856. It's almost humorous to read of all the troubles they had. It's like the mission president had to babysit the Saints with all the squabbles they were having. Some of them were particularly troublesome, and one of them was particularly bad when he got drunk, and they had to threaten that they would put him in irons. There was a fight because someone was keeping a goat in the passenger area. There was a terribly offensive smell, and they found dirty clothes in someone's quarters. And there was a quarrel between two women because one called the other a whore, and then a few weeks later there was a fight between them again. The journalist noted that the one sister "was the aggressor, as usual." It makes me want to be one of those people who's reliably good, instead of one who's reliably aggressive. 

It was a fun but relatively uneventful week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment