Sunday, April 23, 2017

Good and bad hippies

It's only been a week, and I already miss Easter. I had a very realistic, detailed dream about going to the Walmart in Orem and buying Little Debbie carrot cakes (which don't exist, but I wish they did) and bunny-shaped crackers and cereals. I also learned in real life that there was Peeps eggnog at the store, but I didn't see it in time. I'm feeling unreasonably sad that I missed out on it. I also felt unreasonably sad about the dead cat I saw on the side of the road. :(

I also had a dream with a Bewitched episode with a funny joke about King Henry VIII and a leg of lamb. When I woke up, I realized it wasn't really funny.

Yesterday was Earth Day, and I've decided you can't have Earth Day without hitting the trails. So I decided to run to the last radio tower again, like I did a few weeks ago, but I decided to run from my house. Once I got there, I decided to keep going, rather than simply turning around. I was glad I did--I found trails where I've been before but haven't spent as much time on. There was only a small portion of trail that was new to me, but that was still more than what I had planned on.

This is a brief portion of the trail where I had never been. It's out in the open, so my face got a little sunburned, but not too bad. It was a beautiful day.
I saw a rotting deer head. This was the first picture I had, but Facebook doesn't let me choose the thumbnail anymore, and I didn't think I should have a rotting head as the preview.

Parts of this trail get surprisingly swampy.

There were lots of blue and red ribbons attached to signs and trees all over. I found it obnoxious.

In the distance are some dirt bikers, even though motorized vehicles are not allowed. What entitled jerks!

One of my favorite parts is this little ravine that has a meadow in it. I think I've only been there once before. But this part got a little awkward, because another trail runner was following me.
 I also had to spend Earth Day making a meal that is good for the earth, so I made veggie burgers. Of the five kinds I've made, this is the least tasty but the easiest. They have onions, oats, almonds, egg, and seasonings.

Earth Day is a hippie holiday (though not one I formally celebrate), but it's a good hippie holiday. However, there was a bad hippie holiday on 4/20. People say that marijuana isn't as bad as cigarettes or alcohol. I don't know whether that's true, but even if it is, it's still not good. I hate to play the "My hobby is better than yours" game, but if your hobby is smoking weed, then yeah, my hobby is better than yours. I'm so grateful that I don't need harmful and addicting substances to feel amazing. And I find it frustratingly ironic that while there are increasing crusades against cigarettes and soda--which I don't disagree with--there is a push for acceptance of recreational cannabis. We need instead to foster a culture where people decide they don't want that. Let's put those dealers out of business! (Please note: this is not a commentary on legalization or medicinal uses, which are multifaceted issues.)

No comments:

Post a Comment