Sunday, January 14, 2018

Random odds and ends

This week was full of random odds and ends.

On Monday I got a new phone, a Moto Z2 Force. I mainly got it because my last phone was very particular about how it was plugged in. I never felt like I could charge it in my car, because the slightest bump would disconnect it, and I didn't know if it would be dead or charged when I woke up in the morning. Every time you get a new piece of technology, it's a new adjustment. I've been annoyed by some things that I thought have been pointless, but as I think about it, I realize they might have a purpose. For example, I was mad that I didn't have a headphone jack. But then I learned that it did come with a headphone jack adapter; and on my last phone, the jack quit working, so at least I won't have to worry about that now. I am bugged, though, that the charging cord is not universal, working only with my phone, and it's short. Oh well. Nothing is perfect.

I went to the Midway Ice Castles for my first time this week. They were fun and I'm glad I went, but I don't think they're worth the drive more than once.

I also had my review for Hot & Spicy Cinnamon Oreos go up this week. I was nervous, because Oreos tend to be some of the highest-profile reviews, and I knew my 10/10 would be controversial. But most comments have been more supportive than I expected. Most.
"Just because you may not agree with the flavor of the cookie doesn’t mean they should dump the writer lol, but thanks for playing."
Perhaps most exciting this week, I had an interview at BYU on Friday. I thought it went pretty well, but we'll see. I spent some time walking around campus. Much of it seemed so familiar to me, yet I graduated nearly four years ago. Few, if any, people I knew would still be there. I went through the Life Sciences Building, which I consider to be a new building, because it wasn't finished (well, wasn't used) until after I left. But it has been in use for more than three years now! I walked past my old apartments, including my very first one. If we ever got locked out, it was easy to break in the apartment through the kitchen window. It looked like the window is the same after all these years, and I heard some typical college banter as I walked past. And I thought, "What if I stopped in and said I used to live here--eight years ago?" And I imagined the reaction would be, "Who's this old guy!?!?" 

If I did happen to move to Provo, the saddest thing is that I probably wouldn't take Jimmy with me, at least not initially. He hangs out with me on my bed while I'm applying to jobs. Sometimes he comes on my lap, which makes it hard to work on my laptop, so when he does that, I've been switching to watching Marlo Thomas in That Girl online. Is that how binge-watching works? 
I learned that the guest star in this episode was my grandpa's second cousin.

Thanks to my cat, I have a hairy chest even with my shirt on.
I should end, because I'm short on time, since I just literally spent an hour in line for hot chocolate, only to find it was all gone. Not one of my wisest moves. #LDSDevo

But I just want to say something else that perhaps isn't really nice. Of my eleven mission companions, ten of them are good people. There's one I blocked on Facebook years ago because I wanted to block out all the emotional anguish he had caused me. But last week I happened to be on a computer where my mom was signed in, so I used the opportunity to Facebook stalk him. As I scrolled through his posts, I realized why I found him so reprehensible: He has the exact personality of Donald Trump, just with different interests. Racist, misogynistic, Obama-hating, hypocritical, arrogant to the extreme, vulgar. It just bugs me that people I otherwise respect would be friends with him. He's one of the most horrible human beings I have ever known.

On that note: Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment