Sunday, May 6, 2018

Seis de Mayo

This week wasn't super eventful. I've just been settling into my new job.

My most common station this week was the bank, where I tell people about gold, pretending to know more than I actually do. At one point, a mom came in with her kids and said, "Eureka!" Her son, who can't have been older than three, said something like, "If you say eureka, it means it's yours, but if you say oureka, it means it's ours." I found his perception of the morphemes hilarious and adorable.

It was also on my bucket list to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. This is a holiday that one day could become as big as St. Patrick's Day and make it onto my official holiday canon, but it hasn't reached that threshold yet.

Sadly, the first thing I think of when I think of Mexico is drug cartels. I have not one fraction of one iota of sympathy for people who make or sell illegal drugs, because they are making money off of killing people and ruining lives. I could go into detail on what I wish happens to them, but I will forbear, lest you think I'm a violent person.

It is a shame that that's what I think of, because it is a beautiful culture. I think Mexican is my favorite form of national cuisine. I like the colorful decorations, the mariachis, the sombreros, the calaveras.

Of course, it's sometimes hard to know when something crosses the line between fond appreciation and degrading stereotypes. Then there's the current politically correct fad of "cultural appropriation," where it seems we have to stick absolutely to our own culture or we're racist. (I think sticking with our own culture will more likely make us more racist, but that's not what this post is about.)

I try to imagine how I would feel if my culture were used in another country. If, say, South Africa were to celebrate the Fourth of July with cowboy hats and fried chicken, I doubt I would be offended, though I might be a little amused. I've been to Taiwan, and they love American pop culture, and I'm fine with that.

Anyway, my celebrations this week included eating burritos, tacos, nachos, churros, empanadas, and tres leches cake; watching Nacho Libre, The Book of Life, and Coco; and listening to the Spanish AM radio station. I did take four years of Spanish in high school, but I only got a 2 on the AP test. :/

I am perfectly aware that Cinco de Mayo is a bigger holiday in the United States than it is in Mexico. But to me, that gives me more reason to observe it, since I am an American, not a Mexican. I like the idea that we Americans can appreciate different cultures. We are a big melting pot where everyone is welcome.

Or at least we used to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment