Sunday, September 29, 2019

An autumnal birthday

I have previously said that it has finally started feeling like fall, but then this week it has started looking like fall. Hooray!

On Thursday, at work I decided to eat my lunch in the Pioneer Cemetery. Creepy? Maybe, but it was really very peaceful, because it's in a lesser-visited area of the park.


Friday was my day off, and after renewing my car registration, going to the temple, and eating at the Eaglewood Golf Course, I took a run up North Canyon. The leaves have started to change, and it was amazing, even if the pictures don't show it.




What I did not enjoy about this run is that there was an unusual amount of dirt bikers. I don't like sharing the trail with dirt bikes, because I'm afraid they'll crash into me. They're also noisy, and they leave the smell of gasoline in the air. Also, when you find cigarette butts on the trail, it's almost certainly from dirt bikers, because they don't have to be healthy to be on the trail. Also, when you find beer cans, it's from that kind of redneck outdoors person. I was also mad when I learned that ATVs will now be allowed in Utah's national parks. Ugh. (Sometime I'll have to explain my theory about hippie outdoors people vs. redneck outdoors people. I align with the hippie side.)

Then today is my birthday. I'm 31, which isn't that big of a deal. Two years ago was my golden birthday, and a year ago was when I started a new decade. This is the age I get booted out of the YSA ward, but that doesn't happen until the end of the year. I would show you pictures of my presents, but my phone doesn't like to charge. It died, and even though I keep it plugged in, it's not charging very fast, if it's charging at all. Anyway, I got hilarious/awesome/adorable salt and pepper shakers with a white cat dressed as a vampire and a black cat dressed as a bat. And I got a light-up vampire that moves its arm.

***
Here's pumpkinundation roundup!

Someone shared with me this year-old Sweet's Candy Corn Taffy. This taffy isn't super flavorful, and it's very sweet, but it's fine. It's better if you don't eat too many. 6/10. Sweet's is one of two major taffy companies from Salt Lake.

Kirkland Signature Pumpkin Pie is a typical pumpkin pie. When I'm eating it, I feel like I should be settling down after Thanksgiving dinner. 8/10.

Taco Time Pumpkin Empanadas come back every year because they're classic—basically pumpkin pie filling inside a tortilla coated in sugar and cinnamon.

Thomas' Pumpkin Spice Bagels are the best pumpkin bagels. They're soft with little pockets of pumpkin spice filling. 8/10.

Taffy Town is the other major Salt Lake taffy company, so at work I bought this Taffy Town Harvest Treats Taffy, which has seven flavors, but only three or four that I consider fall flavors. From top left we have:

  1. Maple. Typical, uninteresting maple flavor. 7/10.
  2. Pumpkin pie. Might not taste like pie per se, but tastes like fall spices. 7/10.
  3. Pomegranate. Not really a fall flavor, and my least favorite of the flavors. It also seems to be the most common flavor in the jar. 5/10.
  4. Caramel corn. I consider popcorn balls a Halloween thing, so this works. Tastes like popcorn Jelly Belly. 8/10.
  5. Caramel apple. Tastes artificial, but it definitely tastes like artificial caramel and apple. 8/10.
  6. Candy corn. OK. 6/10.
  7. Cran-raspberry. This might have been the only one I've had from the jar so far. 6/10?


Earlier this year, I told you that I don't like Greek food, and Greek yogurt is no exception. So I can only give Chobani Pumpkin & Spice Greek Yogurt a 5/10.

Noosa Pumpkin Yoghurt is better, and it's some people's favorite yogurt, but I'm not a yogurt person. 6/10.

I had a weird experience when I got this 7-Eleven Apple Cider Donut. The cashier wouldn't leave me alone. Do I look suspicious just because I'm wearing a shirt and tie? Apple cider donuts are apparently a big thing on the East coast. This one was crispier than I expected, but it was nice. 7/10.

I associate Pez with Easter, because my very first Pez dispensers were Easter. So I was happy to see a Halloween flavor, Candy Corn Pez. Unfortunately, the fruit flavors are better. It tastes like butterscotch mixed with fruit. 4/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment