Sunday, May 30, 2021

Dad and Grad

 It was a big week in the Melville family. 

Thursday was my dad's birthday. But more significant than that, it was his last day working. He is officially retired. That makes me sad to have retired parents. Oh well. They seem happy about it (my mom is retiring this year too).

I didn't spend any money for his birthday. My parents have CDs that they like to listen to on road trips, but their new truck doesn't have a CD player, so my dad wanted to buy one. But instead, I uploaded his favorite CDs to my iBroadcast account, so it's all on the cloud now. He also got a smartphone this week. He has never really cared to have a cellphone before.

Then on Friday, my niece, Allie, graduated from high school. Crazy! Whereas my own high school graduation took place at the Latter-day Saint regional center, hers was all the way at Weber State. Why? Capacity? Separation of church and state? I don't know. It was weird to see some of my old teachers there, all of them noticeably older: algebra, ASL, physics, English.

I couldn't help but think of my own high school graduation, which toddler Allie attended. I remember being sad that high school was over. But now I'm like, why? Post–high school life is so much better.

I don't really think of myself as even the same person that I was in high school. My appearance has changed, but so have my priorities and interests. Well, some of my interests have changed.

Last week in church, we had speakers from two separate Brazilian families. Then the Brazilian theme continued this week when our special guest was none other than Elder Ulisses Soares! He told us it was his first time in sacrament meeting since February 2020. And he talked about the importance of gathering together. Oh, and he wore a mask!

Oh, you didn't think you'd be let off that easily from me telling you about running, did you? Well, I went on a different trail every day this week. May is such a splentastular month.

Monday was Bonneville Shoreline Trail. The Palmer's penstemon, the most fragrant wildflower, was out in abundance. Take your pick of Kacey Musgraves lyrics: "Oh what a world, don't wanna leave, there's all kinds of magic, it's hard to believe," or "You're my golden hour, the color of my sky."


I had two days off this week. Tuesday was North Canyon, and I just did the usual North Canyon route to Rudy's Flat. I wanted to go longer, but I just wasn't feeling up to it.






Wednesday was the Woodbriar Trail, the most beautiful spot in all of North Salt Lake. As I was coming down, I encountered some people walking their mountain bikes up the trail, who were complaining how steep it was. I told them it got even steeper. But I should have told them that it got even more beautiful as well.




Thursday was Springhill Geologic Park. I was surprised to see sego lilies there. I have never seen them there before, and it's the earliest I've ever seen them! They make me so happy, but now I worry they'll be gone sooner.





Friday was Mueller Park, which is a wonderful trail in every way except that it is so busy.


It makes me happy that now I'm not just good at identifying blossoms, I've started to recognize the greenery as well. This is heartleaf arnica, and soon it will have yellow flowers.



And Saturday was good old Wild Rose. 




And Memorial Day weekend is when I kick off the Fourth of July/patriotic season, so I am happy to have all the new red, white, and blue stuff now.







These apple pie bites were the tipping point. I now officially consider apple pie a Fourth of July dessert/flavor.

These veggie straws fell out of my cupboard and dumped out 90 percent of the contents.

No comments:

Post a Comment