Sunday, September 4, 2022

Let's go see the Killers and hang out in the bleachers

Monday I was still recovering from COVID-19, so I worked from home. 

But according to the CDC's latest guidance, I was allowed to go out with a mask beginning on Tuesday. It was a long day. I went to work as usual, and in the evening I went to see the Killers!

I bought tickets on Monday night. Usually one doesn't go to a concert alone, but that's what I did this time. I was surprised at how much cheaper the tickets were the night before. I might have to remember that for future concerts!

The Killers had their biggest radio hits when I was in high school, and at that time I kind of thought I wasn't allowed to like mainstream music. But I remember driving the family Ford Taurus while hearing "All These Things That I've Done" on the radio ("I got soul but I'm not a soldier").

In college I would listen to music on Pandora, and that was when I realized that I really like the Killers (especially the song "Human"). With most alt-rock bands, I might like them at first, but then I quickly get bored of them. (I'm really more of a pop guy.) Not so with the Killers. And while their most popular, arena-friendly tracks are from the 2000s, I'm a big fan of their more recent stuff.

Most concert t-shirts are ugly, but I was happy to get one with actual good design elements! (Not that I need more t-shirts, especially since I wear a shirt and tie every day.)


The opener was named Johnny Marr. I had never heard of him, but apparently he's a major British rocker from the 80s. I wasn't really engaged with his act.

Then the Killers were amazing! They are made for a major arena like Vivint. They had everything you would expect from such a concert: confetti, lasers, and fireworks at the end.

This concert was to promote their album Imploding the Mirage, which I've only listened to once or twice, so I'm not as familiar with those songs. But they played all the usual songs you would hope them to play.


As they were getting ready to play "For Reasons Unknown," there was an eighteen-year-old kid with signs asking if he could drum with them. The lead singer, Brandon Flowers, asked if he was at least from Utah, and then invited him up on to the stage. And he nailed it! It was impressive to see this teenager drumming in front of a packed arena with a major rock band.

But my favorite part came in the encore. Brandon Flowers grew up in Nephi and Payson, Utah, so last August the band released an album called Pressure Machine about the town of Nephi. It's a lovely but gritty exploration of rural America. (I recommend the abridged version; the full version includes audio interviews with some rather salty language.) I figured they wouldn't play songs from Pressure Machine since it doesn't really match the rest of their catalog.

But! In the encore, they explained that since they were in Utah, they would play a few songs from the album. I think they played three songs from it. That was the highlight of the night for me, even though it made for a late night. Near the end, I really needed to cough (thanks COVID), but I was able to power through.

Last time they came to town, I was sad I didn't go. So I'm so happy I went this time!


No comments:

Post a Comment