Sunday, March 12, 2023

The last low-key week

 It was my last week working part-time. I sometimes think I've squandered my extra time over the last two months, but I did do some different things this week.

On Thursday, I was a judge for National History Day, which was like a science fair but for history. I helped judge exhibitions for kids between sixth and eighth grade. It was more stressful than I expected. I worked with one other judge, and we were assigned nine exhibits to look at. We had to rank them to decide which would go on to state, and we had to evaluate all nine of them. I had to work with my co-judge to make sure our assessments agreed. It was just frustrating to make these subjective judgments. But we both agreed on our top entry. These girls did a presentation about antibiotics, and not only did they fit all the historical requirements, they made their display look like a giant pill bottle that swiveled, instead of just the typical cardboard display. (I feel weird posting random kids' work here on the blog, so I'm not going to share a picture.) I'm glad I did something unusual, but I don't know whether I'll do it again. But since I will be working for the Utah Division of State History, I know I will be asked to help out again.

Then yesterday, I decided to attend the Siamsa, a St. Patrick's Day festival at the Gateway. Back in 2017, the last time St. Patrick's Day was on a Friday, I was doing a holiday bucket list, and I wanted to go to the St. Patrick's Day parade, but they held it the day after St. Patrick's Day, which didn't count–on March 18, I've moved on to Easter. This year they had it the Saturday before, but this year I don't care about the parade. So I just went to the post-parade festivities.

All that plastic confetti (litter) makes me cringe.

It was fun to walk around literally dressed head-to-toe in green (hat, sunglasses, hoodie, shirt, belt, pants, socks, shoes) and see what was going on. I bought a loaf of Irish soda bread and various flavors of green taffy from Rocket Fizz, including pickle taffy.
And I settled in for the sets of two local Celtic-inspired bands, Murphy & the Giant (rock) and Shanahy (folk). I was pleased to recognize the voice of one of the Shanahy singers as Kate MacLeod, whose voice graces my Pioneer Day playlist.

I was lucky enough to find a comfy seat with a good view of the stage.
St. Patrick's Day is a dumb holiday, and yet I find it fun. 

Then this morning, I made the mistake of leaving my scriptures open and unsupervised while there's a cat in the house. When I came back to my room, they were partially eaten.


Now, you all know that I adore holiday-themed foods, the more unusual the better. So permit me for a moment to geek out about some of the more interesting St. Patrick's Day foods I've had lately.

A week and a half ago, since I only work part-time, I took the time to drive all the way to Clearfield to try Lucky Slice's corned beef and cabbage pizza. Since most themed foods are sweet, it's nice to have something savory. I really enjoyed the pizza! I worried I wouldn't, because it had Irish cheddar, and I'm picky about cheese. But it was a pleasant surprise. I wish we had a closer location. 


Then last week, I made Irish soda bread cookies. They were surprisingly tasty, and I love that they look like mini loaves of Irish soda bread. I added a teaspoon of caraway seeds to the recipe.

Now, I have long associated toadstools with St. Patrick's Day. 


So I was happy to see that Normal Ice Cream, a local shop that is anything but normal, had a "composed cone" called a "fairy circle." A fairy circle is a collection of musrooms that grow in a circle. And the ice cream was flavored like candy cap mushrooms! I had never heard of sweet mushrooms before (I don't like regular mushrooms), and I was happy to find that this was one of the best ice creams I have ever had there.

And they also had a "pot o' gold composed cone," but they were out of the chocolate coins that were supposed to go with it, which was disappointing. I think it was supposed to look like a rainbow, but the "rainbow" sprinkles weren't very rainbow. It still tasted good though, and it was vegan!

And of course I've also had plenty of mint and Lucky Charms–inspired things, but those aren't as interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment