Sunday, August 11, 2024

๐Ÿฆš๐Ÿ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ›

On Tuesday, I had my biweekly in-person meetings with the Utah Historical Society, where I am the only man on the Education and Engagement team. My supervisor explained to the group that she had received a grumpy email, and I chimed in to add that the email was a textbook example of mansplaining. One of my colleagues said, "Oh, now I have to know more!" And then, because I was the only man in a room full of eleven women, she said, "Explain it to us, Mark." The joke wrote itself.

I had a few interactions with wild(?)life this week as well.

Tuesday evening, because it was so hot and smoky outside, I went back to swim with the swim team, which I usually do during the winter. As I put my hand on my swim bag, I felt something sharp, as though I had just cut myself. What the heck?! There's nothing sharp on my swim bag! And then I was surprised to see that a wasp had hitchhiked onto my bag!

I don't like to kill things, but since I still needed to use my bag, and I was in a locker room where people are barefoot, I couldn't let it go. So I used my shoe to smash it and then brush it into the garbage.

On Thursday, I was working from home when my dad came into my room to tell me there was a peacock on our shed! So I went out to get pictures. But I took them from a distance because I didn't want to scare it off. 

I went back into my room to keep working. But a little bit later I saw it leave our front yard and head up the sidewalk. They really are stunningly beautiful birds. No wonder they're so popular! It was so random.

And here's a picture of my splooty baby that same day. 


Then that evening, I went on a walk to eradicate goatheads. As I was almost home, I apparently brushed against some plant growth, because there were dried petals on my arm. But I didn't notice that. I just noticed a sharp pain in my arm. I had been stung for the second time in a week! There was even a stinger left on my arm, so presumably it was a bee. 
In the ensuing days, I felt as though I had received a shot in my arm. But instead of a vaccine, I was filled with venom.

My mom's family was in town this week, and in some of our conversations, we discussed snakes. Yesterday (Saturday), I returned to North Canyon for my first time in five weeks. Right at the beginning of the trail, I saw a good-sized snake. But it didn't have any rattles. 

Then as I headed up the trail farther, I heard a rattle, and I barely saw something move off the trail and into the brush. I backtracked a bit on the trail so I could get back on the dirt road instead of the trail, until I knew I was safely past the rattler. 

There were also many trees covered in caterpillars and their silk. There's a different kind of caterpillar that does this in June as well.


And on the non-animal side of things, I also saw this fungus:

And I saw August wildflowers. 
fireweed (pinkish) and Richardson's geraniums (white)

And finally, here are this week's dreams. 
Mark explores ancient underground tombs
Mark tells a woman she left her water bottle on the roof at the top floor of the library, but it's actually on the second floor

David hosts a table at the BYU library, but he is interrupted by an awkward man with a glass nose who talks about construction

Mark is concerned about ingesting a small wire from a barbecue brush

A contestant on "Halloween Baking Championship" serves turkey shrimp in sauce

Mark and his mother want to go to a museum by the water, but it is closed down (For some reason, AI always puts a giant in bodies of water)

Mark wants to try all the rolls made with jelly beans at the church activity

Mark puts his stuff in a popular hot spring that is surrounded by a column made of red calcite

Mark accompanies Susanne at the auto shop in Walmart

Mark's mail is accidentally delivered to a man making hot sausage

on December 26, Mark puts up his few New Year's decorations

on December 26, Mark goes running and thinks about New Year's socks

Mark, Ben, and Charlie work with a toxic liquid that can make people sick

Mark walks carefully over freshly tilled soil with a stinger on top

Mark clears spiderwebs from the basement

No comments:

Post a Comment