Sunday, May 22, 2011

Enter Sandman

Besides apocalyptic rainstorms that led to a non-existent apocalypse, getting 100% on the matching portion of a midterm, and getting paid to do nothing for an hour or two yesterday, this has been a pretty uneventful week.

In real life, that is.

Occasionally, I go through spurts of having several strange dreams in a row. This usually happens when I've had a recent change in life. For example, in January when I moved back down to Provo, I had a dream that the guests for a stake conference here at BYU were Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, and I was hoping that their sojourn in Provo would inspire them to be more virtuous.

For five nights in a row this week, I had strange dreams. But I haven't been through a recent change. Maybe it was a delayed reaction, since I didn't experience the weirdness when spring term started a few weeks ago. I know how it can be tedious to hear other people tell their dreams, so I will stick to the more unusual, random events I experienced in Dreamland.

Monday night/Tuesday morning. I had a dream that I and a bunch of other people were going running on the freeway. We would get on and off on the right shoulder, but it was more desirable to run on the left, because the right had a grate on the ground that moved backwards like a treadmill. Of course, to get to the left shoulder you had to dodge cars, but in the dream they weren't going much faster than us runners, so it wasn't too bad. In another part of the dream, I was going to get in a swimming pool, and I went through a door that was intended for emergency personnel. There was a tiny sign saying that an alarm would sound if it was opened, but I didn't see it until it was too late. There I was, standing with this alarm going off, embarrassed and not knowing what to do. But then I woke up and didn't have to worry about it.

Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. I dreamed I was playing a Mario game I hadn't played before. But what was unique about this game was that it was a real-life role playing game. A girl I grew up with and who is now serving in my mission, Hillary Ulmer, was playing the part of Mario. I was a sidekick of some sort. I wasn't very good, and I felt bad as I was standing back watching her battle the boss of the game, Ursula from The Little Mermaid. Ursula would shoot a gold-colored magic particle, and Mario/Hillary would get down on the ground. I assumed this meant she had been hit, and she was acknowledging that she had lost a life. Every time Mario was hit, Ursula would retreat to her lair. Then they would both play again in the same location. I assumed they were just pretending to be in a different place, but didn't want to go through the hassle of actually moving--after all, it was a role playing game. Eventually, Mario left, and I was following, but I had to hide from Ursula. I hid behind a post and was hoping Ursula would retreat and I could safely go back, but "she" didn't, and the post wasn't wide enough. I saw that the person playing Ursula was one of my E Lang professors from last semester, Book of Mormon scholar Royal Skousen. He shot one of the gold magic things at me, and I thought, "Does this mean I have to get down on the ground?" I wasn't sure, but I got down anyway.

Another part of my dream involved me going tracting by myself with no name tag. This is actually a recurring dream I have--being home from my mission but returning to missionary work, with no companion and usually no name tag.

Wednesday night/Thursday morning. I don't remember a lot of the details, but I know that Jabba the Hutt was walking around. Except he was only two feet tall and furry like a stuffed animal. He was sticking a wide, white tongue out, so I picked him up and rocked him like a baby. Then I was at a stream in the mountains with my family. We were watching a (fictional) video from AwkwardFamilyPhotos.com that involved a family getting their picture taken, and a daughter was riding a boat down a waterfall. Then the kids were playing in the stream and one fell in. I (along with some others) jumped up to help her, but then we remembered it was just a video. The other kids helped their sister, but then they fell in. This cycle continued of kids falling in and the other kids helping them, only to fall in themselves, and every time one fell in, I would jump up to help before I remembered it was just a video. Then in real life in the dream, my niece was playing in the stream. I reprimanded her, since she had just seen the video that showed how easy it was to fall in, but my mom came to her defense, pointing out that the stream now was less deep and less fast than it was in the video.

The aspect of the cuddly Jabba may be related to the fact that my brother used to call his baby son Jabba until his oldest told him that wasn't nice. I stole this comparative picture from his blog from February 2010.


Thursday night/Friday morning. I don't remember much about this dream. But I know Santa Claus and the Abominable Snow Monster of the North were in my neighborhood. My niece was scared of approaching the Snow Monster, but I had fended him off before by bopping him with a tool. But this time he was only three feet tall instead of his usual gigantic size, so I wasn't at all scared. But we ended up not having to encounter him.

Friday night/Saturday morning. In real life, I took fall semester off and came back in January. In my dream, I had taken a few months off of my mission, and was just now returning to finish up. I also found an endangered species (i.e. I found a specimen, I didn't discover the species) of which there were only three known to exist. It was a cross between a dachshund and a hippo. To me it seemed like much more dachshund than hippo. I didn't know what to do with it, but then it turned into Jimmer.

Why Jimmer? I'd say your guess is as good as mine. I don't really follow BYU sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment