Sunday, February 1, 2015

What an eccentric college grad does in January

January, the worst month of the year, is over! Actually, a lot of the bad things about January didn't happen this year. The smog wasn't very bad, and there wasn't much ice. I worry about our snowpack. You may know that I am waiting for a year in which I see it snow nine out of twelve months. I got eight months in 2010 and 2011, but I only saw six months last year. January is usually not a month I worry about, but come April and May, the snowstorms are like, "Well, this is a snowstorm, but just barely." Well, this January's storms were of the "barely" variety. I hope February brings indisputable snowstorms.

On Monday this week, my ward went to Orchard Lanes bowling. Out of three games, I broke 100 twice, at which point I'm always satisfied. But in one of those, the lane was broken, so it gave us extra points. But I might have still broken 100 anyway.

A few nights ago, I had an Inception-like dream. (At least, that's my understanding, because I've never seen that movie.) [Cue the wavy screen.] In one dream, I dreamed that my sister had a son while I was on my mission, and years later, I didn't remember his name, and I felt like a terrible uncle. Then I woke up from that dream, and in the next dream, I verified with my mom that my sister in fact did not have a son. My mom told me, however, that a neighbor's girlfriend was pregnant with twins. (In real life I told that person about this dream, but I don't want to embarrass him publicly, because this dream doesn't describe him at all.) This guy was the executive secretary in my ward, but then on a Saturday I got a call that I was going to be executive secretary, presumably because he was being released. I was sustained at home, even though no one was there, so I could start the next day. And then I woke up from that dream, and I was telling everyone about the dream I had just had. [Cue reverse wavy screen.] There may have been one or two more levels of dream as well.

On Thursday, I once again helped with tutoring. I feel even dumber when I have to refresh myself on sixth-grade math. But in fairness, sixth-grade math was a lot longer ago than high school math.

Then with it being an unusually warm and un-smoggy January, I was able to go running yesterday, although I only had time for a partial run. I was running past a house when I heard a small girl saying, "Daddy, do you see that boy running?" I heard the dad say "hi," but I had already passed the house, and the dad sounded more like he was saying it to appease his daughter rather than to greet me--but I feel a little like a jerk for not turning around and waving.

Then a friend and I went to the Clark Planetarium. It reminded me how much I've forgotten from the Geology of Planets class I took two years ago (for instance, I don't remember the difference between stony, iron, and stony-iron meteorites). But it is amazing to think about how enormous Jupiter is, and yet how small it is compared with the rest of the solar system, and how small that is in the galaxy, and how small that is in the universe. [Booming sound of a mind blowing.]

And after dealings with real outer space, I introduced my family to a DVD set I recently got. You might think I only watch horrible 1960s sitcoms, but you'd be wrong. Oh no, I watch other things as well. I also watch cartoons based on horrible 1960s sitcoms. Even if they were from the 80s.


Gilligan's Planet actually is pretty similar to the original Gilligan's Island, except they're stranded on another planet (and Gilligan has a pet alien, and Ginger looks different, and it's animated). They even got most of the original cast! Gilligan's Island is my favorite show, and with the episodes about Gilligan becoming a radio, the castaways getting superpowers from eating radioactive vegetables, Gilligan turning magnetic and then invisible, and a mad scientist switching their bodies around, there is nothing too ridiculous to me. Last night I also caught an episode of Lost in Space, and it was very similar to the Gilligan's Planet episode I had just watched! (Well, only a little bit similar. Skipper and Dr. Smith were both accused of not working, and they both responded that they were watching for aliens.)

Here I am a college grad, watching cartoons and struggling with sixth-grade math.

No comments:

Post a Comment