Sunday, March 15, 2020

Even stranger

Last week, I said it had been a strange week. But that was nothing compared to the strangeness of this week! So much has changed in just the course of a few days.

Since I'm not in school right now, and I'm not really working right now (except for twice-weekly trainings), I'm not affected too much. But I was supposed to go to a luncheon for newly accepted grad students this month, and that's been cancelled, and administering the sacrament at home is surely an unusual experience.

But you know one of the things that concerns me most is the spread of misinformation. Sure, viruses can be deadly, and we want to stop their spread. But how do people create such misinformative memes and posts? I'd like to think that most of them were done with benign intentions, but surely some of them know they're making up nonsense. And then how do people believe the nonsense and then feel a need to share it? Ignorance can be deadly too!

I legitimately do not understand buying all the bottled water. My parents use distilled water to clean their CPAP machines, but I can't find any. No one's water is being shut off! I really hate the whole idea of bottled water for drinking, because it's unbelievably wasteful both of plastic and of money. That's how I feel at all times, and it's no different now. When my sister-in-law visits from California, she buys bottled water for herself and my nephews because they're not used to Utah water. It drives me absolutely bonkers!

In other news, I have this rule for myself that once all the snow is melted from our yard, I can hit the Bonneville Shoreline Trail. (Other trails require more thawing.) So I was able to go on that trail four days this week! On Wednesday, I ran to the final radio tower from my house. It's just over eight miles round trip, with a climb of 1500 feet. That's not really worse than North Canyon, but it feels harder because there's a lot more flat parts, which means the steep parts are even steeper. I can't remember the last time I ran up there—possibly two years ago.


This is the penultimate radio tower before the half-mile to the last one.


And here is the last one.




I have to do all this running because I make questionable dietary choices.

This was the best combination, in case you were wondering.


On Thursday, I ran on a flat route on a trail/dirt road that is on the west side of Legacy Parkway. I followed it south until it ended at Center Street in North Salt Lake; I'd been on part of it before, but I'd never seen where it ended.
 I didn't like this trail that much because you have a freeway on one side and fenced nothingness on the other, and it's flat and straight. Mentally, I prefer routes that have more variation, so I like winding, hilly paths. The most interesting part of this trail was the white deposit that looked like snow from a distance.
I don't expect this week to look too different from my normal routine at this time. But will anyone be able to see me dressed head to toe in green on Tuesday?

No comments:

Post a Comment