Sunday, March 8, 2020

Throw, throw, throw your vote

It was certainly a strange week.

Last week, I talked about how I was voting for Amy Klobuchar. Then I found out that on Monday morning, she was holding a rally at the Depot in Salt Lake. And since I'm not really working right now, I had no reason not to go.

So on Monday morning, I dropped off my ballot at the NSL city offices. Then I headed to the rally.
 I really am impressed with her policies, her personality, and her background. I remember thinking that I felt bad for those who voted for Pete Buttigieg or Tom Steyer, that they had basically thrown their votes away since those people had dropped out of the race. But here I was on the day before the election, and she was still enthusiastically campaigning.
 And then, just a few hours after I saw her so enthusiastic and gung ho, she announced that she was dropping out of the race. It was a distressing feeling. And I had to throw out the sign I got, just hours (or less) after I put it in the window.
Oh well. Biden is winning the Democratic nomination, and he was my second or third choice. Maybe we'll see Amy run again someday.

It's on my bucket list to eventually visit all the state parks, so on Monday afternoon I decided to cross one off my list by visiting Flight Park State Recreation Area between Draper and Lehi. (Back in November, I used to go running on the Historic Rail Trail in Park City, not realizing at the time that it's considered a state park!) I have no interest in hang gliding or anything similar, so I just wanted to see it. There was no one flying that day (it was cold, and I went too late in the day). It was a little confusing to get there, as it shared a road with a gravel pit, and the signs weren't always well marked. It consisted of dirt roads and mountain overlooks with (ugly, miserable) places for camping. It certainly would be better for people actually interested in air activities.




Since I have this obsessive need to try every green shake, green cookie, and Lucky Charms product, I did a lot of running this week—32 miles. On Tuesday, I wanted to do my standard temple run, eleven miles, but I could tell I wasn't feeling up to it, so I only ran six.

On Wednesday, I didn't know if I could do eleven miles after having done six the day before. But it was a perfect day, so I did! And I'm happy to report that my new running shoes really are better than my worn-out ones; my knees didn't hurt at all. I saw a flock of wild turkeys crossing the road. I often see them at the Bountiful golf course, but they were much farther south this time.
This week I happened to find an old green "smoothie" pouch from the early 2000s in our pantry. Since it's the season for green things, I thought it would be a fitting post-run drink. But it was brown and smelled funny. I had no desire to even try it.


Then on Thursday, I ran 5.66 miles (a rather steep run); on Friday, I ran 6.5; and on Saturday, I ran less than three miles. On these runs, I was delighted at how sunny and springlike it was. Even though it snowed on Sunday, all that new snow is gone, and almost all of our snow from this past winter has melted! I expect to hit the trails again this week!

All the spring weather made the Wednesday night activity even stranger. My cousin's son is in the BYU Men's Chorus, and the BYU combined choirs reprised their Christmas concert for some competition. So I went to a Christmas in March concert at the Tabernacle. But it didn't get me in the Christmas mood because, you know, it's not Christmas.

On March 1, 2017, I bought a shamrock plant. It has died repeatedly over the years, but it keeps coming back to life. Currently I have one solitary shamrock alive. This is one of the last relics of Winegars grocery store, which closed over two years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment