Sunday, January 29, 2023

Living local

As I wrote about two years ago, I enjoy supporting local businesses and enjoying what is available where I live. I know some people love traveling, and I like traveling when I do it, but I feel like there's so many nice things to do locally.

I enjoy going to the South Davis Recreation Center to swim. This week was the last of my session of swimming lessons. My instructor told me I'm a natural at butterfly stroke. It's an exhausting stroke, and I still have a lot to learn. But she and I were impressed I learned it so fast! I decided to sign up for another month of swimming lessons, since there's so much I don't know how to do. My instructor also told me I'm ready to join the beginner level of the recreational swim team. But I'm not sure I like swimming that much. I'm more likely to spend time swimming in the winter, when the trails are snowpacked.

Here in North Salt Lake is the factory for Mrs. Cavanaugh's chocolates. Since I have a lot of extra time on my hands, I decided to take the factory tour on Friday. It was a little awkward, because I ended up in a large group with two or three Activity Days groups. The kids were well behaved, but kids can be exhausting! I don't know that the tour was especially instructive, and I might have learned more if it hadn't been marketed to kids. But I'm glad to say I've done it. I wanted to go now, since Valentine's Day is chocolate season.

I also enjoy running on the paved path next to the Jordan River. I often pick this one when it has snowed recently, since the snow melts faster at the lower elevation. I wish the Jordan River were a healthier river, but it's still fun. And I see more standing water this year than I have in other years—which is good for snowpack but not for the upcoming mosquito season. 





I love working in downtown Salt Lake City. I know people come from all over to see the Salt Lake Temple, but for me it's just another day at the office. I guess I should be better about not taking it for granted.


And last night, I went to Top Hat Video, which is shuttering on January 31. They're selling off all their DVDs. I am surprised they've lasted so long. It's kind of sad, but also not—streaming really is more convenient, and I don't really watch a lot of movies. I went and bought fifty-dollars-worth of terrible movies, since I have horrible taste in movies, and most of the good ones were gone already. Of course, most of the ones I picked have a holiday theme, because I'm more likely to watch those. I'm just a kitschy kind of guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment