Sunday, January 22, 2023

More weird times

I was off work on Monday, but since I'm only working part-time, it just meant that I made up for it the rest of the week. I went hiking in the snow—I'm trying to spend more time outside in the winter so I will hate it less. I went on the Woodbriar Trail. The lower portions were pretty well trafficked, now that the Bonneville Shoreline Trail cuts through it, but it was mostly unused above the BST. Since I go there so often the rest of the year, I knew where the trail was, so I tried to follow it, even though it was covered in snow.

Then my ward went to Holdman Studios in Lehi, where they make glass art. It was fascinating. 

On Wednesday, I made winter-themed veggie burgers, except I didn't make them into patties, just using the mixture as burrito filling. I love making these every year. This time, I used the largest beet I have ever bought; it reminded me of a human heart.

In my swimming lessons on Thursday, we began learning the butterfly stroke. That's one I never grasped in my Swimming for Non-Swimmers class back in 2013. But having an instructor tell me exactly how to do it has been helpful, and I enjoyed it! I look forward to practicing it more and adding it to my stroke repertoire.

On Friday, trying to embrace the outdoors during the winter, I took my headlamp to run along the Jordan River Trail in the dark. I really get depressed doing evening runs in January and February, but for some reason it was more enjoyable after dark.

There were new interpretive signs. This one talked about avoiding single-use plastics. I have become quite scrupulous about that, but it's hard when so many places offer single-use plastic and even give them to me when I don't want them.


I did my usual temple run on Saturday, and it was so cold that a large chunk of ice formed in my water bottle. My knee started hurting at the end, probably because my shoes are well used. Good thing I have new ones to replace them!

Yep. Working part-time in my thirties is not ideal, but I'm trying to enjoy all the extra time I have. And even though I'm only working part time, I really love what I do for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment