Sunday, January 8, 2023

Question...?

 Since I always do a year-in-review post, it means that the first (or in this case, second) week of January describes two weeks.

The week between Christmas and New Year's, I went into the office Tuesday through Friday. On December 27, I went to Brownies! Brownies! Brownies! for the last time. I first went there in 2019, since they were right by the church where I helped tutor youth in a Tongan ward. But then inflation (after a pandemic) has forced them to shut down. I think it also doesn't help that they were kind of in a weird location. I'm sad they're closing down, but I also don't make it out to Sugar House that much these days.

My niblings returned to California on December 30. New Year's Eve was very boring; I spent some time reading all my journal entries from 2022. I often find myself a little sad when a year ends, but I wasn't sad this time.

On New Year's Day, I made a New Year's Day soup with blackeyed peas, ham, and vegetables, served with a side of cornbread. Blackeyed peas are a traditional New Year's Day food in the South, so I've adopted that, since we don't really have any New Year's foods here. (Maybe Martinelli's? I had some of that too.)


I was off work January 2, so I decided to hike the Wild Rose Trail in the freshly fallen snow, wearing my new boots. It was busier than I expected, but I guess everyone had the day off, and what else are you going to do during this time of year? This is seriously the most bland, bleak period of the entire calendar. (Speaking of calendars, I still need to buy a new one!)




This week I started taking swimming lessons for adults. My only formal swimming training was Swimming for Non-Swimmers at BYU back in 2013, so I signed up for the Beginner class at the South Davis Rec Center. There was one other person signed up for that class, and the instructor said both of us are more at an intermediate level, so we combined with the intermediate class, which only has one person. So we get a full hour of training instead of just a half hour. Fine with me! I have these lessons every Tuesday and Thursday in January. My goal is to do both cardio and strength exercises every day.

My life is one big question mark right now. My internship with the Church History Department is ending, but I will be working part-time as a contractor. And no one there knows what's going on, and it doesn't help that people have been out of the office for the holidays. Will I have the same cubicle or any cubicle at all? Will my badge work? Who is my supervisor? No one really seems to know. I have also applied to a couple of jobs in the department.

I also interviewed for another part-time job, and they were going to get back to me this upcoming week. But I've decided I don't want to take it. Having two part-time jobs is not ideal, just something to do until I get something permanent. The same can be said for having one part-time job. So I would rather just have one job, especially since I have enough money saved.

I had an interview this week for another job, which sounds like it would be fun, and I thought the interview went well. That job is in Utah County. What would my life be like if I got it? Would I commute? Would I move closer? With roommates or solo? Would I take Reggie with me? Who knows. What a weird time of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment